Tuesday, June 16

Day 11

We left Las Vegas 20 minutes late, then stopped at Sam's Club to stock up for 50 minutes. We were on the road the rest of the day. We stopped at a gross state-run rest area. The girls used the Men's room since no one else was around. When it was my turn, I didn't lock the door since I didn't want to touch anything. Some guy opened the door, and I screeched. He told his wife I deserved it since I didn't lock the door. His wife was standing there when I went in to the toilet.
We arrived in Mammoth Lake, CA about 6:30. The kids watched 'Chicago' on the bus. That'll teach them not to bring any DVDs with them.
The Gang of Five is behaving well for me. The other chaperones tell me they're having problems with their attitude. I also heard them discussing not 'being consistent' with punishment. I told the kids originally they had an opportunity to regain some privileges. (not swimming or swimsuits.) I think they think I should be tougher on the kids. I'm plenty tough on them, I think.
All of the Districts are run differently, and we have disparate philosophies. I think one fundamental difference is food. I see teens, and think 'bottomless pit.' I leave the food out until it's gone. Seconds are freely available. Students and adults eat the same items. I buy baby carrots AND potato chips and cookies. If they want fruit now instead of in the morning, go for it. I don't portion out the food for them, or tell them what or how much to take except to leave enough for everyone to grab something before they go back for seconds. We'll probably have a lot of leftovers in the morning since I cut up all the fruit insteading of saving some.
I want to go home. I miss Doug and the boys.
It's fairly chilly here in Mammoth Lake, but the students are in the outdoor pool. I feel sorry for anyone else staying in this hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment