Sunday, June 21

Day 13- Evening Farewell Party

Day 13-Farewell Party Part of me was observing, while another part just wanted them all to grab the pizza quickly, then go away. I didn’t feel like I was actively participating in the party. I doubt anyone cared if they ever see me again. Not a lot of the students said ‘bye to me. I did my job. I brought them all home safely after showing them as much as possible for 2 weeks.
Roomie and I hosted the party in our large room. We spent over an hour getting ready for it. We pushed the party back 30 minutes since the pizza was coming late. Roomie cleaned and set up much longer, but she’s neat and I’m a slob. We tried to put our personal items away. The kids came in quickly. We had a sofa, 2 armchairs, desk chair, vanity stool, and 2 large benches at the foot of each bed. The kids flopped on the floor, on the beds, just everywhere. Roomie had several people on her bed at one point, and I think she twitched. I know she twitched when she mentioned all the empty water bottles left over all flat surfaces. They took over as usual. 50 people in a large hotel room is still a lot of people.
The air conditioner didn’t work properly, and it was very stuffy and hot. Security did put in an appearance, of course. All that meant was the door was closed to contain the noise and they banged the door going in and out. Some of them sat in the cooler hallway. Most of the kids had journals or flags, and were busy signing and trading pins and cards. Driver got a lot more pins than me, and he decorated his straw hat with them. He told me he wasn’t ever going to wear the hat again, but keep it as a memory. He took a lot of photos with his phone the last day. I think the kids really touched him.
I think most of the kids had drifted out by midnight, we cleaned up a bit, and the trip was officially over. I told the maid we had a lot of leftover food to leave for the employees. She had me write a note giving her permission to take the items we left in the room. Good thing I talked with her; I’d hate to see all that go to waste.
Clothing: I wore jeans and a sweater until Bouder City most of the time. The weather was unseasonably cool. Last year, I brought 2 pairs of jeans, 3 skorts, 2 pairs of shorts, 10 shortsleeved shirts, 1 long sleeved shirt, and a light sweater. This year-2 jeans, 3 skorts, 1 pair of shorts, and a thin cotton skirt I wore once. (I’ll never wear it again. I had Spanx on under it, and apparently the skirt rode up so the Spanx were visible for who knows how long. The kids said they ‘didn’t notice.’) I never wore one of the skorts. I wore the shorts rafting only. I brought a lightweight Eddie Bauer black cardigan that could probably walk to the washer by itself now. I think I wore it daily. I didn’t bring any long sleeved shirts, and 7 short-sleeved shirts. I could get away with 6 shirts. For the second year in a row, I brought my swimsuit and brought it home without wearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment