Wednesday, June 17

Day 12

Mammoth Lake to Reno. Next to last day. Light at the end of the tunnel.
Last first. Roomie took 38 students to the outlet mall. We only have 44 kids. She's the only chaperone with them. She really wanted to go to a particular store. When we passed by on the way to the hotel, she had such longing on her face. I think it's called Sierra Trading Post. I've never heard of it. I'm broke and tired, so I stayed here.
This year, we cut out an optional last night trip to the Reno Rodeo in favor of a group final meal. Last year, only 4 students went to the rodeo. Does that tell you anything about exchange student shopping vs any other activity? They look like pack mules dragging their belongings off the bus at each hotel. It takes longer to unload each time. When we do morning room checks, the rooms are full of empty boxes and bags. You'd think they'd were stuck in Alaska with no place to shop for a year... One of my Ohio girls told me she'd spent no more than $100.00 on the entire trip.
Today's biggest problem was we lost 2 kids for a while.
Personal damage report: Not too bad at all. No broken toes. That's pretty amazing, I usually have at least one broken toe or bruised nail. It's not from wearing my beloved Havaianas, Roomie, it's because I'm a blind klutz. I'm worn out. I've been hatching a kidney stone the last few days, but I think it's gone now. My knees hurt from going up and down the damn bus steps dozens of times daily. It's a tall touring bus. I'm doing ok. Except for that ADD thing.
Back to losing 2 of the little darlings. Again, end of story first. When we counted heads, we only got 42. A boy and a girl missing. The bus pulled out to go to Starbucks 2 blocks away while Roomie went to the bank. She needs her Starbucks. I thought she'd really need it when she found out we lost 2 kids. When we returned from Starbucks, the kids were at the meeting point. They just wandered off 10 minutes ago. They were just talking. They lost track of time. They weren't doing anything. They didn't hear the whistle, bus loading, etc. and all the other whining and excuses. The best one? They were having a discussion about universities in their respective countries. That one was likely true. They didn't have cells with them, hers was on the bus, and his was ruined because it wasn't waterproof. Their plan was to call a friend in Ohio, ask the friend to call hostmom, ask hostmom to call me to tell me where to find them. Did they really think (no) that we would leave them? We count them at least 10 times a day. I was so pissed that I was quiet when I talked to them. I don't want to haul them to the airport with a day and a half left. We will restrict them in some way.
The shoppers are back, with 2 or 3 bags each. I can hear them each time the elevator doors open. "Inside voice" isn't a concept they understand.
More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment